Saturday, May 13, 2006

BORDERS BOOKS

BORDERS BOOKS....

engaging in deceptive trade practices?

i sure think so.

last weekend, i had some border coupons. ordinarily, i use them to acquire classical cd box sets. but i had one left over, and encountering a book in the history section, the cuba project, i bought it using one of my 20% discount coupons.

when i returned home, i noticed that the pricing barcode was a pressure sensitive label. and it established the price for the book at $29.95. with the dscount coupon, that made my price approximately $24.00.

hmmmmmm.

using my trusty penknife, the one that the reptillians/demtillians will not allow me have on my person or in my carry-on while flying, i removed the borders pricing label. how interesting, the publisher's price for the book appeared to be $24.95.

just for the fun of it, i accessed amazon. amazon noted the list price for this book at $24.95. and they would sell it to me for $15.72. sans sales tax. and because of my prime membership, they would ship it to me ups 2nd day for free.

i returned the book to borders.

after i made that return, i examined other books at that store. seems that borders covers up the publishers' cover-printed barcodes and pricing on everything. and elevates the publisher's list prices.

i strongly recommend that you discontinue shopping at borders for books. unless you care to monkey-wrench the system and remove the border's barcode label prior to your check-out.

still, amazon will beat their prices.

i own no stock in amazon. i am just a bibliophile who hates to be ripped off.

forewarned is forearmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home